Helllloooo all, I’m back. Yeah, it’s been rough being away but I was forced to step away from being superwoman, supermom and a diva. Some of you know what has transpired in my life over the last few weeks and others will just have to accept that sometimes life has a way of throwing you a curve ball that will upset your game.
During my time away I learned a bit more about myself that I want to share with you:
1. I’m not really a superwoman. I do NOT have superpowers. I must learn to listen to my body. Renewing my mind, spirit and soul is a necessity. I'm headed to a beach near me this weekend, YAY!
2. “The safest place in the whole wide world is in the will of GOD’ (thanks Karen Clark Sheard for this song). I have the album ‘Finally Karen’. I haven’t played it in a looonnnngggg time but the lyrics started playing in my head while I was in the shower. I know it was GOD’s way of reminding me that HE’s with me! I was reminded that in HIS presence is safety, shelter and provision. No matter where I go, what I do and what life brings I will never forget to pray, praise and worship the greatest KING.
3. Music really runs through my veins. I may not be aware of the latest artists or even remember groups from the 80’s but when I need to be transported from one moment to the next, I crank up the iPod, click for a Genuis mix in iTunes or open a window for Pandora and off I go. Try it and let the beautiful lyrics of your favorite songs massage your shoulders and tickle your feet until your heart and head is clearer.
4. Saying NO is really acceptable. When I started this blog I promised to let go of things that would be a burden to my already full plate and people who did not have my best interest at heart (including family). I tried hard to do so but who I am wouldn’t allow me to see a need and not jump at the chance to help out. Well yesterday I said NO and it felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders. I plan to try it more over the next few weeks.
5. I will never have an apartment that looks like one of those beautiful places on HGTV and that it isn’t the end of the world. Between single parenting, working full time, graduate school, keeping up with social networking and having a small ounce of my own life keeping my place clean and tidy is more than enough. Thanks to @ChaddBgrindin, Mrs. Timmer, Susan and Mrs. Collins for helping me to see the light. The laundry is still in the basket in the laundry room folded, lol but clean.
6. I’m addicted to books! I had a friend tell me if I can give up reading for pleasure my graduate studies will progress quicker (along with giving up a few other things) but I just can’t. I can’t remember a day that I haven’t had a book or magazine in my backpack or purse. As an educator in a system that does not (yes, I put it out there) encourage reading for pleasure I refuse to see literature as only something for academic purposes. I’m a firm believer that books will never be uncool. Every author/writers isn’t writing educational curriculum; therefore, I’m going to read, read, read because it brings me pleasure. What are you currently reading?
None of these discoveries are earth shattering but they are new bits of knowledge that will help me to live my best life. I hope you are in a place where you are listening to your heart, mind, soul. A place where you are paying attention to the events occurring in your life and making adjustments as needed. I want to be around to see KT graduate from high school and head off to my alma mater (Go S.E.M.I.N.O.L.E.S!). If I don’t learn as l live what a waste this time on earth will be.
At the end of the day, my peace comes from knowing that I lived the day doing what pleased the Father, what makes my family stronger and utilizes the gifts and talents inside of me. I'm not looking to graze in anyone else's pasture. I don't want their water bill, electric bill or landscaping bill because I may not be able to afford it. Take the time today to re-evaluate your own life and plug into the things that bring you joy and unplug those things that are distracting. Enjoy your own green pasture!